I find chicken skewers are often a bit bland on the BBQ, with chargrilled flavour completely overtaking, as well as drying out the meat. I was really happy when a friend put me on to a lightly spiced yoghurt marinade. It makes for the tastiest, most tender BBQ chicken skewers.
(serves 4-6, depending on how generous you are!)
- 500g diced chicken thigh
- 2 tbsp natural greek yoghurt
- 3-4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- A pinch of sea salt
- Put the chicken pieces in a mixing bowl and add the other ingredients, mixing well, and leave in the fridge to marinade overnight
- Assemble the skewers just before you start BBQing.
- Wait until the charcoal has gone completely white, and then start cooking your skewers - cook for about 4-5 minutes on each side until they start turning a nice cooked (but not burnt!) colour.
I always sneak one piece of chicken off before serving to a) check that they are cooked properly and b) have a taste because they are so delish!
They're great served with a flatbread, green salad, some grilled veggies and relishes/salsas.