With a bounty of sloes around this year, it would be rude not to put them to good use and make a batch or two of sloe gin ready for the festivities and beyond.
250g golden caster sugar
1 litre gin
- Rinse and pick over the sloes to make sure there are no rotten ones.
- Pat them dry in a clean tea towel and then using a stainless steel fork or cocktail stick, prick each of the sloes and tip into a 2-litre glass jar.
- Add the sugar and gin to the glass jar and seal.
- Shake well.
- Once a day for the first seven days, give the jar a good shake and then leave for two to three months in a cool dark place to do it's stuff.
- After a couple of months, strain the gin through a sieve which has been lined with muslin over a bowl.
- Decant the strained gin into clean sterilised bottles, seal and label.
- The gin is then ready to enjoy.