This delicious vegetarian tart looks and tastes amazing and is perfect for summer entertaining. Serve with a selection salads for an alfresco supper in the early evening sun.
Cooking Time: 2 hours
300g beetroot, scrubbed very clean
1 medium sweet potato, scrubbed very clean
1 red onion, finely sliced
300g block puff pastry
1 egg, lightly beaten
3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
150g feta, crumbled
1 sprig thyme, leaves stripped (plus some to serve)
1. Preheat the oven to fan 180C. Trim and quarter the beetroot and put the pieces on a roasting tin. Cut the sweet potato, no need to peel, to a similar size as your beetroot pieces and add to the roasting tin. Drizzle with olive oil and roast for 30 minutes.
2. Add the onion and roast for a further 20 minutes. Leave to cool a little.
3. Roll out the pastry into a large rectangle and score a 1cm border around the edge.
4. Place the pastry on a baking sheet and brush the edges with egg. Crosshatch the centre with a sharp knife being careful not to cut the pastry all the way through.
5. Peel the skin off the beetroot wedges and cut each piece into 2 or 3. Next cut the roasted sweet potato to sizes that match the beetroot.
6. Toss the beetroot and sweet potato in the balsamic vinegar and scatter over the tart, along with the onion. Next crumble over the feta and scatter the thyme before seasoning well.
7. Bake in the oven for 20-30 minutes or until the pastry is puffed and golden. Push down the centre if it has ballooned up.
8. Scatter more thyme on top of the baked tart and serve.